On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Joshua Marantz <jmara...@google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl> wrote:
>>
>>   If dlsym() is called with the special handle NULL, it is interpreted as
>>   reference to the executable or shared object from which the call is
>> being
>>   made.  Thus a shared object can reference its own symbols.
>>
>> And that's how it works on Linux, Solaris, NetBSD and probably OpenBSD as
>> well.
>

> Cool, thanks.
>>
>> > Do you have a feel for the exact meaning of that TTL parameter to
>> > apr_memcache_server_create?
>>
>> You mean what units it uses? Microseconds (at least, in 2.4).
>

> Actually what I meant was what that value is used for in the library.  The
> phrase "time to live of client connection" confuses me.  Does it really mean
> "the maximum number of seconds apr_memcache is willing to wait for a single
> operation?  Or does it mean *both*, implying that a fresh TCP/IP connection
> is made for every new operation, but will stay alive for only a certain
> number of seconds.

TCP/IP connections, once created, will be retained for the specified
(ttl) number of seconds.  They'll be created when needed.

The socket connect timeout is hard-coded to 1 second, and there's no
timeout for I/O.

> It is a little disturbing from a module-developer perspective to have the
> meaning of that parameter change by a factor of 1M between versions.  Would
> it be better to revert the recent change and instead change the doc to match
> the current behavior?

The doc was already changed to match the behavior, but I missed that.
The caller I know of used the wrong unit, and I'll submit a patch to
fix that in the caller, as well as revert my screw-up from yesterday.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/