My use case for my service was very simple:
1) Convert a "whatever" document to PDF
2) Generate a XLS/Calc spreadsheet from XML data (this part was later dealt
with using NPOI)

I found that using the C# and/or Java bindings the whole thing was quite
unstable, so I wrote a small C/C++ wrapper, that in turn is called by Mono
or .Net with a standard DLLImport. This works both on Linux and Windows
(it's for a ASP.Net MVC web app that is developed and tested under Windows
and deployed under Linux).

If you wish, code is freely (in any meaning) available, beware that it
probably requires some cleaning up.

m.