1 2Monkeys advance really is a sweet poster
I sold one a few months ago and am looking for one for myself now

At 02:31 PM 8/11/2009, Doug Taylor wrote:
There are so many that it is hard to choose.  I made a choice with Chain
Gang, but I had a top 50 poster list posted a few years ago and it was
roughly 80% pre-1940 and I still missed 50-100 great posters from the era.

I do like a few later posters, though.  On the Beach, Style B is a quite
nice "modern artish" poster, I think.  I'd throw a couple 1040's film noir
posters in there.  I find The Moderns interesting because I love art deco.
12 Monkeys advance is OK.

Anyway, I'm rambling now so I'll stick a sock in it.

Regards

DBT
Profile

-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of James
Richard
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:23 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] #1 Poster... real or memorex?

Hmmm... one thing I've noticed about these #1 poster choices is that
almost all of them are for *very old* posters. Is that because MOPO is
filled with oldsters whose tastes were formed way back when or is it
because the old posters were, as a rule, simply much better-looking and
evocative "art"?

My own choice falls into the oldster category. It would be the style b
one sheet from the 1924 Douglas Fairbank's THIEF OF BAGHDAD. At least I
*think* it's the style b... I've seen it attributed to also being style
A, C and D. Hmph. I've only found two sales for it (Bruce back in 1992
for $30,000 and again in 1997 for $17,250). It's impossible to find a
really good quality picture of this poster as far as I can tell.
Everyone keeps reusing the same old couple of crappy photos of it. Even
the one in Bruce's image archive is awful. I guess I could settle for a
window card, which Heritage has sold a couple of for $5,000 or so, but
it wouldn't be the same (and yes, even the Heritage photos are lousy).
There are a couple of "museum quality" art prints of it kicking around
for $300 or $400, but it does not look like they got the background
color correct when they printed it (and it is the background color that
makes the whole atmosphere of the image work). Best picture I've found
of it so far (and it's only half good as far as the background goes):

http://www.moviegoods.com/assets/product_images/1020/264735.1020.A.jpg

-- JR