Well, I can't speak for your screen and how your colors are adjusted, but
hopefully your computer is pretty accurate. However, I did look at the poster
itself quite closely. The colors on this poster were simply blazing! The reds
were not painted over as I could easily still see the "dot" pattern of the
offset lithography. In fact, I have to say it was one of the best examples of
this poster I've ever seen.
For the record, I've seen Grey go way out of his way to make sure the colors in
the catalogs are as close to the actual colors on the poster as possible. He
has a very high level of integrity and, like yourself, wants to make sure that
the potential bidders get an accurate image and representation of the poster so
they can bid with confidence.
I really wish you would attend the auctions yourself and then you could easily
respond to some of the comments posted on MoPo that allude to images being
doctored. If you could do that, I think you would see that this simply isn't
the case.
I think the bigger question here, is why the poster passed at the sale? Is it
indicative of the economy? Is it simply the case of supply and demand that
there are more of these one sheets available out there than previously thought?
Could it be that although demand (and desire) is high for this poster, that the
higher prices have already been achieved and as each buyer acquires the item,
that there is a smaller pool of bidders still out there? Is it a generational
thing- and now perhaps the younger generation entering this hobby don't have
the appreciation or desire for posters of films in the 1940's- or follow film
noir? And honestly, what else can we do to try to bring "new blood" into the
hobby? Do we need "new blood" in the hobby? Do you think the hobby is growing
or not?
I really don't know the answer to those questions but I think they're the ones
we should really be asking. As one of the hobby's most public faces, I'd love
to hear your take on some of these issues.