ERB... rather sounds like something one should say, "pardon me" after....

So Disney, in their wisdom, thought that the word MARS was a no-no to box 
office due to a few previous flops with Mars in the title... it's the word, not 
that they were crap films.
And so, they have a film named JOHN CARTER, like lots of people know who John 
Carter is, what he does and where he goes.

I'd like to introduce our American friends to the term BOOFHEAD... that a short 
OO not a long OOOOO.

I hate to say it, and I know some might doubt it, but it is clear that too many 
marketing people in the film industry these days are boofheads.

Me, I can't wait to see JOHN CARTER OF MARS. But then, I like a good ERB.... 
pardon me.
Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Ari Richards [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 03:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OT: Disney expects $120 million operating loss due to 'John 
Carter.'

Thats because these darn young whipper snappers don't know how to read. 
Especially not the great adventure books from the Silver age ;)
And I would wager that not many Women read ERB at the time either.


Ari



------------------------------------------------------------
From: David Kusumoto <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 March 2012 12:39 PM
Subject: [MOPO] OT: Disney expects $120 million operating loss due to 'John 
Carter.'


I wonder how much the negative buzz that preceded the film - turned out to be a 
self-fulfilling prophecy for some. It seems the industry loves a loser as much 
as it loves a winner. But there's no doubt that the women I know - had near 
zero interest to see this picture. In the industry trades, I kept reading about 
how the film ended up skewing toward older men, as in WAY older men, not just 
simply "the over 25s." -d.

========================================

TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2011
Disney's $200 Million Charge
'John Carter' Proves a HugeLoss for Disney,
Spurs New Focus on Cutting Costs
By ERICA ORDEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

WaltDisney Co. expects to lose $200 million on its science-fiction epic 
"JohnCarter," the company said on Monday, citing the costly movie's 
weakbox-office performance.
As a result, Disney added, itsmovie studio is expected to report an operating 
loss of between $80 million and$120 million for its fiscal second quarter, 
ending March 31. Disney won'treport its earnings for the quarter until May, and 
rarely offers such advancefinancial guidance.
The studio recorded an operatingprofit of $77 million during the same quarter 
last year—even though that periodincluded another big-budget flop, "Mars Needs 
Moms."
"John Carter," which costmore than $250 million to make and an additional $100 
million to market, hasbeen a box-office bomb, particularly in the U.S., where 
its cumulative domesticearnings total $53.2 million during its first 10 days in 
theaters. The moviehas fared somewhat better abroad, grossing $130.8 million 
outside the U.S. andCanada since its March 9 opening. But those results are 
disappointing for afilm that was one of the studio's most expensive in years.
"It certainly didn't meet theexpectations of what I wanted or what I needed," 
Disney Studios ChairmanRich Ross said in an interview last week.
The film, about a Civil War veterantransported to a planet populated by alien 
creatures called Tharks, came inthird in the weekend's box-office ticket sales 
results, behind rivals "21Jump Street" and "Dr. Seuss' The Lorax."
In addition to its significantexpense, "John Carter" suffered from an array of 
handicaps, includinga lack of recognizable stars—the film featured actors 
Taylor Kitsch and LynnCollins, neither of whom are household names—and a 
marketing campaign that waswidely considered indecipherable and visually 
unappealing.
During Disney's recent shareholdersmeeting, Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo 
brushed aside an inquiry about themovie's results, saying that "it's very early 
to talk about the financialimpact of that film."
Partly in response to costlyprojects such as "John Carter," Disney executives 
say they have takena tougher look at production budgets for its films, most 
notably for upcomingrelease "The Lone Ranger," on which the studio halted 
production whenits projected costs had surpassed $260 million.
In a statement on Monday, thecompany emphasized the prospects of its upcoming 
films. "As we lookforward to the second half of the year, we are excited about 
the upcomingreleases of 'The Avengers' and 'Brave,' which we believe have 
tremendouspotential to drive value for the Studio and the rest of the company."



Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at 
www.filmfan.com___________________________________________________________________How
 to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: 
[email protected] the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF 
MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.






Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at 
www.filmfan.com___________________________________________________________________How
 to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: 
[email protected] the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF 
MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.


         Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com
   ___________________________________________________________________
              How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing List
                                    
       Send a message addressed to: [email protected]
            In the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-L
                                    
    The author of this message is solely responsible for its content.

Reply via email to