Hi Ian,

I am in the no-self (anatta) camp, but like everything else there
are subtleties to consider: 'sense of self' which I know exists
and actual self which is missing.  "I feel my emotions therefore
I am." doesn't do much for me.  How you use your brain / body
is only a consideration if you have awareness in the present.
Otherwise, it seems to me the patterns have you.

Not much left for consideration in the brain/mind workings if you
take all the neuroscientists to hold the truth.  Didn't we recently
discuss that science is story-telling?  Do you exempt your favorites:
Zeman / Austin / Sacks /Ramchandran, now McGilchrist from that
category?

Anyway, it certainly is interesting.

I am almost through with the Albahari book, but I am going to
reread it immediately.

Marsha

On Aug 5, 2011, at 8:00 AM, Ian Glendinning wrote:

> Marsha asked
> "What role do emotions play in consciousness?"
>
> Well, our consciousness (the bundle of patterns that is us) are
> conscious of them.
> I feel my emotions therefore I am.
> (What happens next depends on how you use your brain / body.)
>
> BTW - I just blogged the clip you linked and also linked back to my
> earlier piece on Haidt's Happiness, and noticed Damasio featured
> heavily there too. I made a throwaway remark a few weeks ago that
> there really wasn't very much contentious left to be understood in the
> brain / mind workings these days - even things like "will" - one of
> the reasons I get frustrated when we continually recycle old debates.
> I still "feel" that's true.
>
> Haidt is/was (almost) a total Buddhist, but just pulled back to a
> position of dynamic balance in his conclusions.
>
> Regards
> Ian
> Moq_Discuss mailing list
> Listinfo, Unsubscribing etc.