I didn't say "all" Marsha, I listed the ones I respected,

And no (being consistent and coherent) I don't exempt these from the
narrative side of epistemology (even in science) - they all get it
too, and they are writers of anecdote-filled books, some of them much
repeated and apocryphal, if not mystical. Need more evidence ? Both
Haidt and McGilchrist (and others) rely on references to Al McIntyre
too, and Homer and Virgil, and ... a trail that led me to Boyd (On the
Origin of Stories) and Dutton (The Art Instinct).

BTW, great fun to follow the links on these subjects, prompted by you today.
Search "free won't" (in the quotation marks) on the blog and it leads
you to two posts. Follow all the linked > linked posts from there and
back again. There is a wonderful comment thread involving Alice and
Matt on Wegner and the "illusion" of conscious free-will. Says a lot
about "respect" and MD.

Finally, yeah, when I says "self" I do try to keep the perspective on
the reality of little and big self interpretations. Good to avoid too
objectifying self - you know I agree. This is why I'm such a fan of
Dennett. Yes we need to talk about self to make any sense to each
other, but that is perfectly consistent with believing self is largely
illusory - humans can be pretty sophisticated in holding many complex
thoughts in play - if they give each other respect I find.

Gotta go. Work to do.
Ian