Hi Platt and All

On 4 Jul 2001, at 8:58, Platt Holden wrote:

> It's hard to remove Pirsig from the MOQ because the novel in which it is
> set forth is all about him. "Lila" is autobiographical, unlike any of
> Shakespeare's plays.

It may be hard but it is also necessary - otherwise you don't have a Metaphysics, just
a novel.

> When you take the MOQ on its face you find many contradictions as
> John Beasley points out in his new essay on the forum. And when the
> MOQ says it's immoral to eat meat, one begins to wonder about other
> flaws. As for being the best you can be, join the U.S. Army. That's their
> motto--the point being you don't need the MOQ to inspire you to
> excellence.

The MoQ doesn't say it is immoral to eat meat:

"...this moral principle holds only where there is an abundance of grains and fruits
and
vegetables."

and what is wrong with this statement that you should consider it a flaw? You may not
like it
but it is a consequence of a reasonable and excellent moral system.
As for joining the Army, I think I'll give it a miss - the day I believe any of their
garbage motto's
or other propaganda I'll be about ready for the funny farm - come to think of it, is
there a lot of
difference?

Horse