I don't think the problem is the fault of teachers in urban schools..I think it
is the system and segregated schools. I don't blame the students for failing
and I can't blame the teachers...we all need to take responsibility for the
same or even worse segregation of schooling since before Brown ..even before
that...since he 1900s.  Things just don't seem to change. Even with the
election of our president who campaigned for change. Value-laden teaching is
more of the same thing. The following column was from 1980s:) I love the
sentence..."They must be flexible and able to bounce back after sixty-three
defeats--ready and even eager to try again." I think we need to bounce back and
try something different...I still believe separate but equal is not equal.

>From Susan Ohanian Column:

The education managers who hand out competency tests and who write up official
classroom observations make a critical mistake. They insist that prospective
teachers should prove what they  know. But we veteran teachers realize that the
hard part of being a teacher has nothing to do with facts. Yes, teachers need
to know where the apostrophes should land, but more important, they need to be
nurturing human beings. They must be optimistic and enthusiastic about the
possibilities of the children in their care. They must be flexible and able to
bounce back after sixty-three defeats--ready and even eager to try again.

I'm not much interested in seeing how a teacher carefully structures her lesson
so that the kids stick to the objectives and the bell always rings in the right
place--just after she makes her summary and gives the prelude for what will
come tomorrow. I want to find out if that teacher is tough and loving and
clever and flexible. I want to be sure she's more nurturing than a halibut....
What does she do when a kid vomits (all over those neat lesson plans)? Or an
indignant parent rushes in denouncing the homework? Or the worst troublemaker
breaks his arm and needs special help? Or the movie projector bulb burns out,
and the replacements have to come from Taiwan? Or somebody spots a cockroach
under her desk?

A teacher's talents for dealing with crises aren't easily revealed on an
evaluation report or rewarded on a salary schedule. And neither are those
special moments that a teacher savors. So don't yield to the number
crunchers--even when they dangle a golden carrot in front of you. Remember that
the most wonderful joys of teaching happen in the blink of an eye and are often
unplanned and unexpected. You can miss their importance and lose their
sustenance if your eyes are glassily fixed on the objective you promised your
principal you'd deliver that day. When you maintain a sharp eye and the ability
to jump off the assigned task, the rewards are many--when a child discovers a
well-turned phrase; or a mother phones and says, "Our whole family enjoyed the
homework. Please send more"; or the shiest child in the room announces she
wants to be the narrator in the class play; or the class bully smiles quietly
over a poem. Our joy is in the daily practice of our craft, not in the year-end
test scores or the paycheck. When outside experts ignore this, then we must
stop and remind ourselves. We must talk, not of time on task but of the
tantalizing vagueness and the lumps in the throat, the poetry and true purpose
of our calling.

Philomena Marinaccio-Eckel, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning