Seems like all the benefits of "read alouds" would accrue.  I use a handout
summarizing those benefits.  They include building vocabulary, building
knowledge of syntax (especially for hearing the syntax of written language),
comprehension etc.  No they are not figuring out unknown words as far as
decoding goes.  But there are lots of benefits.  I don't know specific
research but sure it's there.  It's one of those common sense notions.  Bet
Krashen has some research to support it.  Try him.

Sally