Hello all,

I have been very pleased to have the listening component so positively
reinforced, largely thanks to the influence of daily five practices. as pointed
out by another teacher, the children do respond positively. I provide lots of
opportunities for listening as part of daily five, read-a-louds and the growing
expanses of audio formats as well as formats that support highlighting of words
as they are read as found in meegenius app for iDevices.

I use audio personally all the time with most of my curriculum being in audio
which I listen to while reading it to students. I am unable to read print due
to being totally blind. While I use Braille daily as an organizational tool to
help sort my files, student books, classroom library and such, it is far too
cumbersome and time consuming  for me personally to read lengthy texts. . If
one has grown up using Braille it may be a different response entirely.
Accessibility in Braille is also very costly and in this age of technology very
limiting for the things I personally need.

My grade three class would never consider that I am not reading as I share what
I read through listening. When students can pair print text to follow along it
also really enriches their learning for fluency as mentioned, but also to hear
all the nuances of speech and tone through different speakers. Some of the
narrators on the audible library are quite talented. I listen to audio formats
of children's picture books, novels, textbooks while simulreading these to my
students. I listen to text and teach with it in much the same way you do with a
piece of print in front of you.

I do my duty supervision in a kindergarten class four times a week while the
teacher takes her break and as my guide dog and I enter it is not unusual for a
child to announce "Mrs. B is here to read to us." .

I believe the audio format can supplement, extend and where needed replace
print decoding as the only form of reading. Listening as reading promotes a
love of reading, enjoyment and widens horizons to appreciate literature.

Historically there has been an argument that people reading by audio are not
reading. Our students with LD who might use scanning technology such as
kerzweil have been challenged as this not being literacy in my own school board.

It is not as easy to research using audio but it can be done. My kindle allows
me instant access to a world of books I would not otherwise had access too.
Scanning of print texts to be in a digitally accessible format I can now do as
quickly  as quickly as I can physically turn a print page. Using digital camera
technology which has replaced the flatbed scanner technology, I have my camera
configured to detect hand motion of turning the page and an audible camera
click alerts me the page has been scanned. With my software program set to read
while scanning I can "read" (by listening to the speech synthesizer of my
computer),  while I scan print pages. The quality is still questionable at
times but if anyone had told me even a few years ago that I as a totally blind
person would successfully be working with a digital camera to scan documents
and make them accessible I would have thought it quite beyond my imagination.

E-readers are a wonderful technology. Some people do not even realize e-readers
often have full speech possibilities to read the text if the book has text to
speech enabled. Many users I know have opted to combine reading the text
visually and switching to audio to support reading when tired or commuting.

It kind of begs the question... what is reading?

Does reading beyond the "cult of normalcy" expectations mean it is not reading
just because it is different from the way people usually interact with text?

As I defend my phD dissertation(unrelated to this topic)  in a few months, the
reality is that five years of research have been accomplished using listening
to reading. It is a process of drawing the circle wider and accepting that
print impairments in the twenty-first century do not mean an inaccessibility to
the world of reading and literacy.

If I can provide any support to any teachers who might be struggling to get
their head around the making space of accepting this as reading, please do feel
free to contact me off-list.

Sharon
sbal...@nexicom.net