On 2004-01-06, Gervase Markham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simon Paquet wrote:
>> I've written a document for new bug triagers who just obtained their
>> canconfirm or editbug privileges in bugzilla.mozilla.org
>>
>> The document covers most of what a bug triager can or should do and what
>> he should not do. The document can be found at
>> http://www.babylonsounds.com/bugzilla-privilege-guide.html
>
> What problem is this document trying to solve?
[snip]
> Are you sure there are not already documents on www.mozilla.org covering
> this topic? Somewhere around, for example,
> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/help/ ?

The problem I guess it's trying to solve is the fact you have to point to
"documents somewhere around ...".  You're the maintainer of the section -
if you're not immediately sure of what is covered there and where it is,
then the chances are that nobody else is.

Currently most of the information in this document is passed along by
talking on IRC, or meta-discussion in bugs. It should be possible to point
someone at the /quality/help page, and for them to be able to know how
bugzilla is used, and what they should and shouldn't do.

The QA page has:
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/help/unconfirmed.html - not bad, but only
talks about unconfirmed bugs, and it contains links to queries which
return 5000 bugs and then suggest you use back/forward to step through.

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/browser/prescreening.html - talks about
browser-general bugs only, overlaps with other docs, talks about Netscape.

http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/bugathon.html - bunch of stuff about
BugAThon, writing testcases.

A smoketest nightly builds link, which fires a load of crap at the
bugzilla server which returns an error.

Link to tests - fine, but not to do with triaging bugs.

Then under the howtos,
bug writing guidelines - good for writing bugs
screening duplicates - fine for screening duplicates
how to find duplicates - fine for screening duplicates
how to pick components for crash bugs - a draft requesting comments to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (who?)
and then how to use regex searches in bugzilla.

Where, in the above, does it give any kind of overview of what people are
supposed to do in bugzilla?  There are howtos for various specific tasks,
but nothing general.

You're right that the documents should be as short as possible - this
document is far shorter than the above selection, and it covers how the
various resolutions are used, how bugs are verified, what the various
fields are (this is covered in links from the bugzilla page, but in a
generic way that isn't consistent with Mozilla's usage). Also the stuff
about whether bugs are assigned to Firebird or Mozilla.

The QA section is currently a mess of overlapping and badly organised
document.  This document is more useful than some of the stuff up there
already.  If we had documentation that was well organised and relatively
complete, then "how does this fit in with what we have" would be a good
question.  As it is, the existing stuff is a mess that nobody is going to
fix any time soon, so, IMHO, you may as well add this to it.

Alternatively, this document can live on a different site, and people will
get referred to this instead of the official docs, because it's too much
to get it onto Mozilla.org (as with the Firebird/Thunderbird
documentation, Mozilla and FB/TB themes and extensions - the actual
products link directly to non-mozilla.org sites, because those sites are
actively maintained to be cohesive, something which people involved feel
would not be possible if the content was on mozilla.org).

--
Michael