"steve m." wrote:

> Nils Faerber wrote:
>
> > Other opinions?
> > CU
> >   nils
>
> if it isn't mp3, it kind of limits what one can do... =(  sure there may be a
>player, or plug_ins for some players but you lose the freedom that exists in mp3
>being a "standard". for me it would mean that i couldn't use them in my empeg, heh.
>besides, i got like 70gb+ of mp3s right now. don't want to reencode things until i
>have to (converting everything to vbr is taking me long enough).
>
> steve

Seems to me a bad reason. You don't need to reencode your files, keep under mp3 what
is already mp3, and just use new formats for future encodings, if you think that new
formats are better.

The point here is that mp3 is a proprietary format, while ogg is an open one. Moreover
ogg have several interesting features: for example it is natively VBR, while mp3 is
basically CBR: VBR is not nicely implemented in mp3.

Related question: wouldn't the experience accumulated in the Lame project be useful
for the ogg project (GPSYCHO,...) ? Couldn't Lame and ogg cooperate ?

Pierre