Hello Mark:

During Hiawatha citizen committee meetings in the 1970's keeping the speed limit at 35MPH was a part of the original plan.  MNDOT was discussing building a highway through these neighborhoods that would displace hundreds of residents and have a severe impact on Minnehaha Park. Motorist driving 55 miles an hour would be extremely dangerous for pedestrian and bicyclist in the community. The citizen committee wanted to keep a certain level of liviablity for residents.

They did not want just another freeway for suburban motorist. When the light-rail is completed the pedestrian traffic will increase significantly. Minnehaha Park is also one of the most important parks in the state. Having motorist driving 55 miles through the park would take away from the park users experience.

Community residents did not want their community to be another freeway for suburban motorists. When Highway 94 and 35W were built these highways had serious impacts on the communities. The residents near highway 55 did not want to see this happen to their own neighborhoods.  Some of the most impoverished communities in our city are next to 94 and 35W. I believe those folks that pushed to keep the speed 35 showed a little foresight and wisdom about how to keep inner cities communities liveable.

Ken Bradley Corcoran Neighborhood

 Anderson & Turpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I drove down Hiawatha highway yesterday, from 46th St to the West Bank exit.
I looked hard for the reasons to keep Hiawatha at 35 mph, but I didn't see
any. There are no residences anywhere near the road. Can anyone tell me
why the speed limit isn't 55 mph throughout that whole stretch of highway,
besides the promise of a misguided politician a number of years ago? If
anywhere should be a highway, it's that road.

Mark Anderson
Bancroft