Barbara Nelson challenges us to come with some good news.  Dean Carlson
responds by saying that Heritage Park on Olson Highly (also known as the
Hollman Project) now has 40 families, that Phase II will close this summer,
and that the part of the project South of Olsen Highway will begin
infrastructure work this Spring, and thus despite all of the naysaying, this
is good news, a feat other PHAs in the country have not been able to
accomplish.

I'm confused.  My response is:  is this really true?  If 770 are to be
completed by October, with 330 of those in the suburbs, that means only 440
of the 900 that are to be done at Heritage Park would be completed.  But is
even this true?  When I stopped by the project in January, there were only
20 families, and I was told here would be few government subsidized families
(the original purpose of the project, which promised homes for 300
public-housing residents and 100 for the elderly poor).  I saw a few
buildings, most not completed, and acres and acres of dirt mounds.  There
are several reports that also add to my confusion.  The first is the June
2002 McKinsey Report, The McKinsey report: what it means for Downtown and
the city
(http://www.skywaynews.net/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2002/June/21-2
720-news01.txt).  , that says that the MCDA, the NRP, and the City Planning
Department spent just under $1 Billion on housing resulting in a net gain of
only 52 housing units (that's $19 million per unit), that the city is 8,300
units short of its immediate affordable housing needs and that there is no
more money available to complete projects like Heritage Park/Hollman.  The
Journal of The American Planning Association in July 2000 reported that of
258 different projects around the country such cost overruns have been the
norm.  So, if the money has been spent, and at the site of Heritage Park
there is mostly dirt mounts, how can this be good news?  One is called "The
Fight Against Urban Cleansing and Gentrification in Minneapolis," which
discusses how the poor and Blacks are being replaced by upper scale Whites,
and is at http://educationright.tripod.com/id41.htm.  City Pages ran a
feature on this in their August 14, 2002 issue also.  All of this about
Heritage Park (Hollman) is taken from the new book available at book stores,
The Ron Edwards Story, Through My Eyes, by Ron Edwards as told to Peter
Jessen.  You can see the cruel joke chiseled into the wall of the little
bridge, "Fair Housing."  Ron's chapter on Housing is Chapter 8, with the
subtitle "Housing:  Hollman as example of razing Black homes to raise White
homes."  Ron explains this housing dynamic to us very well, very sadly, with
chapter and verse, citing his evidence as he goes.  Get the book, read the
chapter, and then comment.  Ron's understanding of what Heritage Park is
supposed to be is the same as expressed by W. Harry Davis in his new book
Overcoming.
Peter Jessen, Beacon on the Hill Press, publisher of The Minneapolis Story,
Through My Eyes, by Ron Edwards

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.