Good idea Dean,

I have two "Good News" things great to report.

1. Minneapolis graduated a class of new police officers Last night.  I do
not know about all the new officers, but I do know of one who is going to be
such a
great addition to our department.  His dream was to become not just any
police officer but to serve his community, this community.  His dream was to
become a Minneapolis Police Officer.  I challenged Mayor RT Rybak to help
this young man's dream of serving Minneapolis come true. Just as many of us
had helped RT's dream of serving Minneapolis come true.  I thank RT Rybak
and Chief Olson for helping to fulfill that dream.  He is a young person of
color who grew up in south Minneapolis.  One of our own who now serves his
community. Todd Kurth is one of my kids who I am incredibly proud of.  (They
are still my kids even when they are over thirty and have kids of their
own).  Quality people make for a quality organization and the Minneapolis
Police Department is a little better organization tonight.

Never let anyone tell you that Minneapolis has to search elsewhere for
quality people to be our police officers. Our inner city produces some of
the best.  They just need a chance. There are already others, from Todd's
extended family in South Minneapolis, who are following Todd's example and
path to become Minneapolis Police Officers.

Some of Todd's extended family attended the graduation; some of the others
were busy with the Coalition of Impacted Neighborhoods Meeting on the same
evening.  The other half will, hopefully, help Todd celebrate at the party
on Saturday.  Doug Grow might remember Todd as one of those little kid
boxers at the old Southside boxing gym.  It's a strange world, some of those
Southside kids went to jail and some become police officers. Well we saved
most, and that is good news.

Other Good News, - Last nights COIN meeting

2. Approximately 125 to 150 people came out last night to the Crown Roller
Building to start a dialogue about how to end the pattern of discrimination
that has existed in Minneapolis for some time.  The highlights of the
meeting were:

A) Randall Bradley's presentation of his "Impacted Neighborhoods Overlay
District" to begin to end the discrimination that has become a pattern in
Minneapolis. Bradley's "Impacted Neighborhoods Overlay was offered as a
beginning to the discussion of how to address fulfilling the spirit if the
Hollman Decree.

B) Zelle & Hofmann Attorneys Adam Gislasen and Chad Snyder gave a
presentation on Federal Fair Housing Law and how Minneapolis is violating
this law by their efforts to concentrate Supportive Housing.  How
Minneapolis recognized this problem and attempted to address such patterns
of discrimination with its original 1/4 spacing rule.  How Minneapolis has
systematically misapplied this Federal law to further concentrate such
housing in a few neighborhoods rather than to open "Fortress Communities" so
handicapped people could indeed have locational choice in housing.

C) Council Members Robert Lillegren, Don Samuels, and Dan Niziolek attended
the meeting.  As noted earlier "quality people make for a quality
organization". Minneapolis is lucky to have those people who are interested
in their neighborhoods and willing to listen to this important dialogue.  I
have to commend Dan, even though he might disagree with some of the
neighborhood ideas, he still comes and listens.  The problem with some other
Council people is that they are so smart their glass is full, so there just
is no room for any new ideas but their own.  Dan always comes with a half
empty glass.

Audience members noted that the Mayor and some on the Council are presently
planning an attempt to repeal the "1/4 mile ordinance".  The Mayor and
Council possibly recognize that neighborhoods and people will use it as a
base for lawsuits if Minneapolis continues to only apply it against poor
neighborhoods.  In my opinion repealing the ordinance would be an indication
that Minneapolis intends to willfully violate Federal Fair Housing. As such
they would be subject to large punitive damages from future successful
lawsuits. The good news last night was that neighborhoods and residents
already recognize this attempt, and are beginning to discuss how to prevent
such violations and its subsequent legal costs to Minneapolis taxpayers.

Whittier resident Barb Lickness did a great job of providing food for
everyone.  If you need something catered Barb is your lady. With no offence
meant to the vegetarian fair she included, the meat and pasta hot-dish was
great.  Apparently a lot of other "carnivores" also thought so because it
did a quick disappearing act.

Neighborhoods actually called to complain they were not included in the
Coalition and to demand they are included.  Which we are happily doing. At
the meeting one person from a neighborhood without any supportive housing
stood and requested that the City site a supportive housing facility in her
neighborhood. This is what the Fair Share Housing Solutions concept is all
about.  Each neighborhood caring enough to do its FAIR SHARE.

It appears last night was just the beginning of that organized problem
solving and this is indeed "GOOD NEWS"!

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

>If you board the wrong train,
>it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
>- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

>I think Dietrich must have looked at the attempt to repeal the 1/4-mile
rule.

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.