From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dean Carlson
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 8:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Mpls] Let's have some GOOD news for a change

When completed, Heritage Park will be a mixed-use, mixed-income development
located 1 short mile from downtown.  It will be connected to the City via
new roads, park amenities, and bike trails.  People of all races, incomes,
and backgrounds will be sharing the same space and it will probably be the
most integrated neighborhood in all of the City.  Critics like Ron Edwards
will probably never accept it but I stand by my original post -- This is
Good News!!

Ron would FULLY accept what you have written and, indeed, your last
paragraph echoes the vision Ron shares with you as does Harry Davis in his
new book about Minneapolis in his comments on Heritage Park, which I also
recommend to everyone to read ("Overcoming:  The Autobiography of W. Harry
Davis").  In two of his between Chapter Interludes, Ron notes the good news
of progress in Black prosperity and integration in Minneapolis.  And he
calls it a glass half full so that we remain mindful that he champions those
still trying to either get out of ghetto-like conditions and areas or
transform them so they are no longer ghetto-like.  Surely no one on this
list would disagree with that goal.  Had you read Ron's chapter (why I urge
people to read Ron's book before commenting on it) you could not write that
he "will probably never accept it."  Ron would agree with you that IF (the
caveat) what you and Harry and he himself says about what it is supposed to
be actually happens it would indeed be good news.  His single focus is equal
access and opportunity for everyone.  He would love to see an integrated
city as well as integrated suburbs.  He would share your enthusiasm that all
of the units "will be replaced" and when you say it "will be completed by
October 4" he would celebrate that with you then, and I don't think he would
begrudge you a few months if it goes to, say, December.  But what if it goes
several more years?  And Ron would certainly celebrate with you your words
that what is to be achieved is "All on the site of an acknowledged ghetto
with buildings that were sinking into an ancient riverbed."  And I'm willing
to accept not only your number of 40 families but even more since the
original post.  Ron doesn't question the concept, nor do I, only whether it
will actually be completed.  None of what you wrote negates the McKinsey
report that, in their words, nearly $1 billion was spent by 400-600 planners
in five agencies to develop 52 units leaving the city still short the money
to complete the project as well as still being short 8,300 of its affordable
housing needs.  This $1 billion is significant also in terms of the
discussion of the LGA cuts and hopes.  And it will be significant if it
turns out that the Brown field some say it is requires more clean up.  Ron
also points out in his book that the map shown to HUD regarding what
Heritage Park/Hollman was supposed to be showed less than what Minneapolis
was shown on another map of what it would be.  The map shown HUD shows a
purging of buildings that were to be used by African American organizations.
Sadly, Ron discusses in his book how this was achieved by the actions of
BOTH White and Black organizations.  Ron also questions why so many Blacks
made to leave what Dean confirms was a ghetto, who were promised they could
move back once it was completed, have since been told they cannot.  In his
chapter on housing he notes that last year's report from the University's
Center for Urban and Regional Affairs discusses how affordable housing has
been abandoned for the more profitable market-rate housing, "despite the
availability of Federal funds through the 1976 Land Use Planning act, which
is not being used."  In other words, Ron agrees with what Dean is saying
should happen but questions whether it will.  On pp. 134-5 of his book Ron
states "The high real estate tax is unfair.  Minneapolis needs to engage
with the state to set meaningful measurable goals for developing housing
policy with fair housing goals, including the kind of tax breaks other
developments get, so that developers and others can provide decent, safe,
affordable housing at a profit."  Ron sees both sides.  He just wants to
make sure that both sides win.  To back up his argument, Ron reports that
even the Metropolitan Council admits it is "only providing 10% of what they
acknowledge is needed." Its continuing to delay will result in the available
land being used up so there is no room left for affordable housing.  Ron
concludes his chapter by reporting that "the University of Minnesota calls
the council's action 'a missed opportunity of huge proportions.'"  Ron
accepts the vision outlined by Dean.  He hopes it comes through.  He is
fighting for it.  But the evidence suggests that it will not only be missed,
but, and this is a key theme of Ron's, missed on purpose, which is bad for
all concerned, Blacks and Whites, and easily raises questions of ethics
touched elsewhere by this discussion group.  Read his book and then tell me
what you think.
Peter Jessen, Portland
[Full disclosure:  also publisher (www.BeaconOnTheHill.com) of "The
Minneapolis Story, Through My Eyes," by Ron Edwards
(www.TheMinneapolisStory.com)]
Heritage Park is a work in progress but when it is completed will include
200 public housing units, 90 affordable rental units, 150 market rate rental
units, 55 habitat for humanity homes, 55 affordable for sale homes, and 250
market rate homes.  In addition, MPHA will build a 100 unit senior housing
for low income seniors, including at least 40 assisted living units.  When
it is completed, 500 of the 900 (55 percent) new units will be for built for
low income or moderate income people.  All on the site of an acknowledged
ghetto with buildings that were sinking into an ancient riverbed

Dean E. Carlson
East Harriet, Ward 10

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.