apologies for long post...

There is apparently a lot of confusion surrounding Hollman and Heritage
Park. First the Hollman lawsuit was originally about Locational Choice.  If
you were poor and needed public housing there was basically one place you
could live -- the projects in Near North.  This was direct result of
decisions made by the Minneapolis City Council in the 1950's, decisions made
against the recommendations of the Mayor, the City's HRA Director, and
against the wishes of housing advocates. The point of the lawsuit was to
begin to right that wrong and a key component of the lawsuit was to scatter
public housing choices to all areas of the region, including the fast
growing suburbs and their large job base.
The Hollman Consent Decree basically states that all 770 housing units
demolished in poor areas will be replaced.  The settlement stated that 480
of the units would go into the suburbs, 200 would go back to the Near
Northside at the new redevelopment area now known as Heritage Park and
approximately 90 or so be scattered throughout Minneapolis in
non-concentrated areas.  That plan is being implemented and will be finished
by October 04.

Mr. Reitman may be right that it would be easier to site public housing in
3rd tier suburbs than in East Harriet but I should point out that of the 88
scattered sites acquired under Hollman, 40 percent were located in SW or
Calhoun-Isles, including the neighborhoods of Kingfield, Bryn Mawr,
Tangletown, Lynnhurst, Linden Hills, and Fulton.  (alas no East Harriet).
Another 15 percent were in Northeast.  Suburban units are also being located
in such "third tier" cities as Edina, Golden Valley, Columbia Heights,
Richfield, Roseville, and Bloomington.  Suburban Hollman units can be found
in 32 different cities in 6 counties (Dakota County refused to participate).
Now that's locational choice!!

Heritage Park is a work in progress but when it is completed will include
200 public housing units, 90 affordable rental units, 150 market rate rental
units, 55 habitat for humanity homes, 55 affordable for sale homes, and 250
market rate homes.  In addition, MPHA will build a 100 unit senior housing
for low income seniors, including at least 40 assisted living units.  When
it is completed, 500 of the 900 (55 percent) new units will be for built for
low income or moderate income people.  All on the site of an acknowledged
ghetto with buildings that were sinking into an ancient riverbed

As I stated in my earlier post, 40 families have moved in with new leases
signed every week.  Yes there are still piles of dirt, but there are also
families living there -- low income families, rich folk, blacks, whites,
asian, somali, hispanic,  sometimes all living in the same building or on
the same block and many of whom who lived in those deteriorating buildings 3
short years ago.  There may have only been 20 families in January, but at
the end of February there are 40, by Easter, it could be up to 60, 80 or
more -- that's the way it is with large-scale developments, it doesn't all
happen at once.

When completed, Heritage Park will be a mixed-use, mixed-income development
located 1 short mile from downtown.  It will be connected to the City via
new roads, park amenities, and bike trails.  People of all races, incomes,
and backgrounds will be sharing the same space and it will probably be the
most integrated neighborhood in all of the City.  Critics like Ron Edwards
will probably never accept it but I stand by my original post -- This is
Good News!!

Dean E. Carlson
East Harriet, Ward 10