In a message dated 7/11/03 5:10:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< The lack of empathy on this list for the family who attended Market
 Bar-B-Que, and the urge to rationalize and otherwise excuse the behavior of
the people
 who "served" them, is appalling. >>

    Jon Sez:

    I think you're casting rather a large net here and certainly not being
fair to some. In my post on the subject I simply related my very similar
(empathetic) experience and questioned whether there might be a very very bad
management/morale situation at Market (FYI I'm so white I effloresce for two hours
after sundown).

    I'll look at the post again if I can retrieve it but I think the only
mention of race was when there was a call put into the cops. If you've ever
called the cops you'll know that they always ask for a description, including race,
of the people you're calling about.
    My main point, other than to long for the resurrection of a formerly
great joint (where I used to see lots and lots of Black folks), was that a boycott
is a truly drastic action. Without a dedicated list of grievances in hand?
One incident? I doubt that I've ever heard one called for like this. A boycott
can swiftly destroy a business the size of Market.
    Yeah, before such action is taken, I think alternatives should be
explored. How about very publicly kicking a lot of butts out the door accompanied by
large apologies to the party?  Why not just a huge Mea Culpa and a wake-up
call instead of a shutdown order?
    Personally, I think the poster had an intolerable, tending towards
surreal, experience. Like myself, she will probably never venture there again until
all qualities of service have been verifiably restored, and maybe not even
then. But was her
parties' experience the engine for a boycott? I still can't see that.

                                                            Jon Gorder
                                                            Loring Park
TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)