Good Morning List,

I believe that Jon's idea is a good one.  Back in the day, when my children were small, I remember there was a grocery delivery service.  I cannot remember who ran it, but for a young single mom with no car and a limited budget it was great.  I could call in my order, even WIC foods, and for a small fee, have quality food and service delivery.  I lived in south Minneapolis at the time.  It saved me time, and I did not mind the small fee as I would have had to take the bus to the store and pay for a cab ride home, anyway.

I was lucky in that my kids were pretty well behaved in public, but some parent's have children that think stores and the like are simply large playrooms for them, and shopping becomes an unwanted experience to be relived weekly.  So it could be a lifesaver in thart aspect for some as well.

I remember when I lived on Plymouth Aveneue in the late '80's.  There was a hood store on the corner of what I think was Plymouth and Russell or thereabouts, and they too, frequently changed hands and charged more than they should.  One day I sent my children to the store, and I am a stickler for getting reciepts.  Well, they came back without a reciept and with less money than they should have after purchasing the item I needed.  When I asked what had happened they told me they had been basiclly browbeaten, told the item cost more than what I knew it cost, and the cashier refused to give them a reciept.  Now, my children were well trained, and they do not lie.

So I went back to the store with my children and demanded that the store refund the money they overcharged for the item, issue a correct recipt and give my children the respect they deserved by apologizing to them.  To be honest, the store owner did not really want to comply, but I promised him I would make quite a public stink over the incident, and that he would look worse than he already did, so he did.  And from that point on, no matter how much I might have needed something last minute, I did without rather than go to that store again.

Unfortunately, other folks still utilized the store, and a lot of them, IMHO, seemed to do nothing other than loiter and carry-on other questionable activities, in pretty much plain sight.  When I moved from the area, after one year, they were still there.  I hope that is not still the case.

Pamela Taylor
(Tampa)