I think the crack house on my block is an anomaly. It
isn't like it was back in the early 90's when they
were everywhere. The corner store has always been a
low life place but even that wasn't engaged in drug
dealing activity until the most recent people started
running it.

What's different this time for me here is that there
are more families living on my block that give a damn.
I have a great deal more help and interest in dealing
with this problem this time than I did the last time
around. I actually feel like we have a team. Having
the Whittier e-mail group to use and this forum has
been a tremendous asset. What's also different are the
remedies available from the police. The technology is
way way better than it was in the early 90's. Again,
computer technology has really helped with the
communication and education thing. The police are
better prepared to deal with these situations
especially in the aftermath. They have better tools to
help landlords learn that they don't have to rent to
criminals and methods to show them how to avoid it.
They also have way better systems to track repeat
criminal offenders.

I don't know about the gang turf stuff. Unless I have
my head completely stuck in the sand, Whittier doesn't
appear to have a huge gang problem. I may be wrong.

And the "uniform" thing....be careful there. My son
and his friends wear white t-shirts and black shorts
or pants and they are no where near being gang
members. My son finished the 8th grade year with 5
A's, passed the 8th grade basic skills test, is
enrolled in a good high school and his own personal
goal is to graduate from college.

Conversely, the thugs across the street also wear
white t-shirts with black shorts or pants. I would be
willing to bet these kids didn't finish the school
year at all, they didn't pass the basic skills test,
their parents don't even care if they go to school let
alone which one and the only place they seem headed is
prison.

Barb Lickness
Whittier

=====
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead