From: MQSeries List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Christopher Warneke
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Backing up "Q" files but not the "LOG" files

Kulbir,
  Sounds like what you really need is a redundant DASD
solution and a DR center that is close enough to you
to mirror disks at both sites.
  EMC and IBM both have technologies that support
having the data centers some distance from each other.
 Shared Queues on z/OS can be 27km apart (I've heard
that IBM has extended this, not sure how far).  QSGs
employ m/f coupling facilities so, my bet is that the
Mirrored DASD solutions require closer proximity, for
performance sake.
  Years ago, 2001, I worked for a bank that had a
primary data center in Jersey City, NJ and a secondary
data center in Manhattan, NYC.  Several miles of
fiberconn connected the 2 data centers.  EMC DASD was
mirrored at both sites.  Both OS/390 and AIX 4.3.3
machines were supported.  Failover worked quite well -
the solution was without significant performance
impact.
  I'm not sure that the solution that you're
attempting to implement will perform well over 3k
miles.  What kind of DASD solution are you employing?
What vendor/product?  Do you have databases that are
being replicated across both sites as well?
Lemmeknow,
Chris