You should check with IBM, however... The technique will work, but if an
object is broken, then it will likely be broken forever.  Also, there's no
guarantee the queue file will accurately reflect the state of the queue.
That is, there may be messages that would have been backed out and synced
with the log, but not yet on the queue file.

The point is if IBM didn't think the log file was needed, then they
wouldn't have created it.   You may be better off keeping the LOG files and
not the queue files. Then at least, you can rcrmqobj the queue files once
the queue manager is running.

Also, if you issued the rcdmqobj after your step 12, it should restore the
queue back to step 6  You are using Linear logs right ?

                      "Kulbir S. Thind"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      SK.COM>                  cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Backing up "Q" files
but not the "LOG" files
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.ac.at>

                      11/17/2004 12:04
                      PM

Hi,

We're thinking about setting up replication for our queue manager to ensure
that just the Q files are backed up but not the LOG files for the queue
manager.  This is being contemplated as it appears the log files are
updated far more than the Q files as the LOG files are doing internal
MQSeries checks, etc.  We need to reduce the amount of data that we're
replicating.

My first thoughts on this were that this would not work as the Q files
would be out of sync with the LOG files.  However we performed the
following:
   1. Created a queue manager
   2. Started the queue manager
   3. Created some queues
   4. Put some message on the queues
   5. Ended the queue manager
   6. Took a copy of the LOG files used by the queue manager
   7. Started the queue manager
   8. Put some more messages on the queues
   9. Created another queue object
   10.      Ended the queue manager
   11.      Restored the LOG files that were backed up in step 6
   12.      Started the queue manager

At this point I was expecting issues but I found that the queue manager
started without problems and it recognised the queue that was created in
step 9.  Does this mean if we took a copy of the LOG files and restored
them to a queue manager at a later point retaining the latest Q files we
would have no problems?  Has anyone tried this or no of any problems?

Cheers,

Kulbir.