On 2017-08-10 10:33+0200 Arjen Markus wrote:

Hi Alan,

I tried that, but "pkgfile pyqtconfig.py" simply returns nothing. I
specifically checked if it would list the packages a file is part of
even if that package is not present and indeed it does list the
packages in question.

So, my conclusion is that at this moment there is no package available
that will bring in pyqtconfig.py.

Hi Arjen:

I am glad to hear my suggestion of using pkgfile generally works
according to your tests, but
sorry to hear it finds no pyqtconfig.py in any MinGW-w64/MSYS2 package.

I have installed the following packages that are related to this:
mingw-w64-x86_64-pyqt4-common 4.11.4-2
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3 3.5.2-2
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-numpy 1.11.1-1
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-pip 8.1.2-2
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-pyqt4 4.11.4-2
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-setuptools 28.6.0-1
mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-sip 4.18-1
mingw-w64-x86_64-qt4 4.8.7-4

For Debian Jessie, I have the following result from the apt-file command
(the Debian equivalent of pkgfile).

python3-pyqt4: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt4/pyqtconfig.py

That is for python3-pyqt4 version 4.11.2 so it is likely not that much
older than your 4.11.4 version above.

I have since discovered that the lack of pyqtconfig.py
is due to a packaging issue in mingw-w64-x86_64-python3-pyqt4 that you
installed above.

<http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/build_system.html>
indicates that the whole pyqtconfig.py approach has been deprecated
since version 4.10.  That webpage has this further comment:

"Note that the pyqtconfig module is only created if you use
configure.py and not if you use configure-ng.py."

Furthermore,
<https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-pyqt4/PKGBUILD>
shows configure-ng.py is used to build the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 package so
that is the reason that pyqtconfig.py is missing from the
mingw-w64-pyqt4 package.

For now, I suggest you report this packaging issue at
<https://github.com/msys2/msys2/issues>, and disable the pyqt4
component of PLplot on the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 platform until this issue
is fixed.

Of course, since the pyqtconfig module is deprecated, we should change
PLplot to use its modern alternative (whatever that might be).  But
that is likely quite a long-term project, and meanwhile it would be
good if MinGW-w64/MSYS2 followed Debian's packaging lead by continuing
to support the pyqtconfig module by using configure.py rather than
configure-ng.py to build the mingw-w64-pyqt4 package.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science