Karsten Ohme wrote:

Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

On 07/11/05, Martin Paljak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From the GDM list i heard  that PAM should be capable for doing such
operations like reacting on card insertion and reagin the username
itself, but that's something that shoudl be possible by design but
none of the examples i worked with provided such examples.

AFAIK gdm calls PAM only _after_ login is filled. I may be wrong and
that would be a good news.

E.g. if MusclePAM is installed, PAM is called and if a smart card is
inserted, gdm requests to enter the PIN. So gdm seems to have knowledge
when a smart card is present. (Maybe this is because of my modified
version of MusclePAM.) But gdm has the bug, that the dialog, e.g.
"Please enter PIN" is duplicated after the selected window manager starts.

Is that a bug, or that gdm is run as root, and remains running
in the background waiting for the user to logoff. While the window manager
would be running as the user. The session to the card most likly has been
reset. Is there a way to pass it on to the window manager? Should there be?
(I don't like pin caching and if the reader has a pin pad there is no
pin to cache.)

Karsten

Bye,

--
Dr. Ludovic Rousseau
For private mail use [EMAIL PROTECTED] and not "big brother" Google

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439