Funny, Andy, I was thinking about the merits of mono versus stereo dither a
couple of nights ago while having dinner…while independent dither makes sense,
in that your equipment’s background noise should be uncorrelated, there is the
issue with headphones (maybe making it more obvious, more spacious?)…I didn’t
think it through very far, just a thought to try out, but it’s interesting that
you should bring it up...

But actually, those files aren’t using my plug-in. Since the test didn’t
require a constant residual level at various truncation levels (which is the
best part of the plug-in—nothing like juggling a couple of gain plug-ins to
manually compensate the gain in a null test, and blasting your ears off when a
stray index finger mouse-scrolls bit-depth down to one or two bits with a high
gain setting in place), I went with the off-the-shelf stuff, and not have a
chance that someone would question whether my plug-in was doing something
misleading. DP’s Quan Jr plug-in is supplying the dither.

I can mod my plug-in for mono dither, though, and supply a version of that. You
make an interesting observation, thanks.