Hi Didier,

I count myself as having good hearing, I always wear ear protection at
any gigs / loud events and have always done so. My hearing is very
important to me since it is essential for my livelihood.

I made a new test, a 440 hz sine wave with three 0.25 second white
noise bursts -66 dB, -72 dB and -75 dB below the sine (which is at -6
dBFS). I can hear the first one very clearly, then just hear the
second one. I can't actually hear the hiss of the third one but I can
hear the amplitude of the sine wave fractionally lowering when the
actual amplitude of the test sine remains constant, I don't know why
this is but that's how I hear it.

You will clearly see where the white noise bursts are if you use some
sort of FFT display, but please just have a listen first and try and
pick where each (3 total) are in the file:

www.cytomic.com/files/dsp/border-of-hearing.wav

For the other way around, a constant noise file and with bursts of 440
hz sine waves, the sine has to be very loud before I can hear it, up
around -28 dB from memory. Noise added to a sine wave is much easier
to pick, which is why I think low pass filtered tones that are largely
sine like in nature are the border case for dither.

All the best,

Andy

-- cytomic -- sound music software --