Didier, afaik the pain threshold for humans is at 120dBSPL. And there have been rock concerts that had an even louder level than that.

The hearing threshold apparently is at around 10dbSPL. Taking your -72dBFS truncation noise levels, that gives 82dbSPL as the threshold of being able to hear the truncation noise. That's almost 40dbSPL away from the pain threshold.

I am sure loads of people are listening to their stuff at higher levels than 82dbSPL from time to time on their home stereo. Imho this use case alone justifies dithering more than enough, doesn't it?

Andreas

On 2/10/2015 3:56 AM, Didier Dambrin wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding anyone who could hear past the -72dB
noise, here around.

Really, either you have super-ears, or the cause is (technically)
somewhere else. But it matters, because the whole point of dithering to
16bit depends on how common that ability is.

-----Message d'origine----- From: Andrew Simper
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2015 2:08 PM
To: A discussion list for music-related DSP
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] Dither video and articles

On 7 February 2015 at 03:52, Didier Dambrin <di...@skynet.be> wrote:
It was just several times the same fading in/out noise at different
levels,
just to see if you hear quieter things than I do, I thought you'd have
guessed that.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Cr7wjQ2EPub2I1aGExVmJCNzA/view?usp=sharing

(0dB, -36dB, -54dB, -66dB, -72dB, -78dB)

Here if I make the starting noise annoying, then I hear the first 4
parts,
until 18:00. Thus, if 0dB is my threshold of annoyance, I can't hear
-72dB.

So you hear it at -78dB? Would be interesting to know how many can,
and if
it's subjective or a matter of testing environment (the variable already
being the 0dB "annoyance" starting point)

Yep, I could hear all of them, and the time I couldn't hear the hiss
any more as at the 28.7 second mark, just before the end of the file.
For reference this noise blast sounded much louder than the bass tone
that Nigel posted when both were normalised, I had my headphones amp
at -18 dB so the first noise peak was loud but not uncomfortable.

I thought it was an odd test since the test file just stopped before I
couldn't hear the LFO amplitude modulation cycles, so I wasn't sure
what you were trying to prove!

All the best,

Andy

-----Message d'origine----- From: Andrew Simper