Hi all:

First post on the list. Quite some time ago I set out to create a lv2
plugin re-creation of the electroharmonix freeze guitar effect. The
idea is that when you click the button it takes a short sample and
loops it for a drone like effect, sort of a granular synthesis
sustainer thing. (e.g. https://youtu.be/bPeeJrv9wb0?t=58)

I use an autocorrelation-like function to identify the wave period but
on looping I always have artifacts rather than a smooth sound like the
original I'm trying to emulate. I've tried some compression to get a
constant rms through the sample, tried various forms of crossfading,
tried layering several periods, and many combinations of these. I
ended up releasing it using 2 layers, compression, and a 64 sample
linear crossfade, but I've never been satisfied with the results and
have been trying more combinations. It works well on simple signals
but on something not perfectly periodic like a guitar chord it always
has the rhythmic noise of a poor loop.

I'm hoping either someone can help me find a bug in the code that's
spoiling the effect or a better approach. I've considered applying
subsample loop lengths, but I don't think that will help. The next
thing I could think of is taking the loop into the frequency domain
and removing all phase data so that it becomes a pure even function
which should loop nicely and still contain the same frequencies. I
thought I'd ask here for suggestions though, before spending too much
more time on it.

The GPL C code is here for review if anyone is curious:
https://github.com/ssj71/infamousPlugins/blob/master/src/stuck/stuck.c
I'm happy to offer more explanations of the code.

Thanks for your time.
_Spencer