The tradeoff is between:

[1] users not being able to find the release they're looking for with
picard because a disc id has been deleted
[2] users having to pick the actual release they want because a cd lookup
has returned several candidates

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:04:15AM -0800, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> Also, I haven't been able to get a sense of how much are these spurious
> disc IDs are actually impacting normal operation. If a disc ID were
> being removed to prevent an apparently-spurious home-burnt disc from
> colliding with a clearly legitimate label release, the decision to
> delete such entries would be far clearer.

I haven't seen any user accounts or other evidence of this happening
at all, or atleast often enough to pose a problem.  Until such 'proof'
is provided I am not in favour of deleting homebrew discids.

-- kuno / warp.