On 12/23/2014 11:31 PM, Edward Cannon wrote:
>> On Dec 23, 2014, at 7:53 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier this evening, I wrote:
>>> I've just come across the incidental music to the original stage
>>> production of Peter Pan; or, The Boy who wouldn't Grow Up.  Both Google
>>> Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=J-wQAAAAYAAJ) and the Internet
>>> Archive (https://archive.org/details/musictojmbarrie00barrgoog) seem to
>>> think this music, published in 1905, is in the public domain.
<snip>
>> According to <http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-no2002041637/>, Crook
>> lived from 1852--1922; his music is safely in the public domain.
>
> Does anyone know if there are specific legal restrictions on this music
> in the UK? As I recall Peter Pan is under perpetual copyright there-I
> wonder if that extends to this music as well, or just the text of the
> play.

The text of the law, quoted at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy#United_Kingdom>, implies
it would not apply to the music detached from a performance of the story.

But there's no need to play lawyer about this:  J. M. Barrie gifted the
copyright to Peter Pan to the GOSH, but the copyright to the music was
never his to give away.  The copyright page on the PDF reads,
"COPYRIGHT, MCMV FOR ALL COUNTRIES BY PRICE & REYNOLDS.", Price &
Reynolds being the publishers of the song book; and what rights the
publishers didn't own would have been Crook's -- or possibly the Duke of
York's Theatre's.  In any case, this would never have been included in
Barrie's gift.

(But just in case, I wrote to the copyright folks at the GOSH to confirm
this.)

--Joel