David DeSimone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Scott V. McGuire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas on not using a full blown MTA for outgoing mail?  It seems
> > like overkill to run sendmail (or even qmail) on a single user system
> > when all I need is a program to look like sendmail but immediately
> > send mail to my isp's smtp server.

> What if your ISP's mail servers are down?  Then you can't send mail
> anymore, until they come back.  If you run a local MTA, it can bypass
> the ISP's servers, and go directly to the remote mail server.

nullmailer has a queue and will send the mail when the smarthost comes back
up.

Yes, running a local MTA is good for some things.  It's not necessary for
others.  If we have, say, fifty Unix boxes here in our development areas,
we don't need to run a full MTA on all of them.  We can run nullmailer on
each one, pointing at our main SMTP/POP3 mailhost.

There's other solutions, as well.

Charles
Charles Cazabon          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>