* On 09-01-02 at 18:17
* David T-G said....

> % I don't think my incoming mail is saved anywhere and that isn't ideal
> % either.
>
> It will only be saved somewhere when you specify so in your procmailrc
> file(s).

Okay, which directive handles that?

> % If I make files for the different lists I'm on the problem is to wade
> % through all those files looking for mutt-users of vim-users etc.
>
> What most people do is to make the incoming drops look somehow different
> from the fcc files, so that it's easy to recognize them.

Sounds reasonable but I think I'll settle fot the ~/Mail/lists/list-name
approach. I like it.

> % What would you suggest? I'm open to anything that will make things
> % simple for me!
>
> What I do is have all of my incoming files as =F.* (where F was for
> Folder, long ago; I probably would have made it =I.* for Incoming if I
> had planned a bit more) and then have all of my fcc folders right in = as
> well.

Do you mean like ~/Mail/F.some_friend
What /is/ fcc exactly?

> If I were starting from scratch (or seriously interested in revamping
> what works well enough for me :-) I'd have some ideas:
>
> - store all incoming mail sorted by procmail either in $spoolfile or in
>   something like =IN/*, thus making my muttrc mailboxes line really simple

When you say $spoolfile could that mean /var/spool/mail/nick?
I use a pop account so all incoming goes there, althoug I delete it in
the mutt index to clear the view and lose it (must sort that one!)

> - store all otherwise unspecified mail (the typical fcc or save) in its
>   own general dir like =FCC or some such (you can use the %O expando for
>   this in a default fcc-save-hook command) to keep the main directory
>   empty
> - possibly make the symlinks mentioned above, but in the newly defined

Like it, like it. I envisage my perfect setup as something like

~/Mail
~/Mail/regular_crap
~/Mail/family_personal
~/Mail/lists

Completer with subdirs etc.

fcc_save_hook with the expando example?

Okay, much thanks David, I cut alot of the message as it's way beyond me
for the moment but I've saved the mail ;)

Thanks again for your advice, you've managed to help me loads since I
started using mutt and it's appreciated.

- --

Nick Wilson

Tel:    +45 3325 0688
Fax:    +45 3325 0677