Nick -

...and then Nick Wilson said...
%
% * On 09-01-02 at 18:17
% * David T-G said....
%
% > % I don't think my incoming mail is saved anywhere and that isn't ideal
% > % either.
% >
% > It will only be saved somewhere when you specify so in your procmailrc
% > file(s).
%
% Okay, which directive handles that?

Given a procmail rule

  :0 :  # second colon for a lockfile for mbox
  * some list condition
  =IN/listname

or whatever.  Check out the man pages for procmailrc and procmailex for
more info.  I am not a procmail guru, though I muddle around a bit, and
such stuff comes up on this list often enough that you should probably go
to the archives instead of starting another procmail thread ;-)

%
% > % If I make files for the different lists I'm on the problem is to wade
% > % through all those files looking for mutt-users of vim-users etc.
% >
% > What most people do is to make the incoming drops look somehow different
% > from the fcc files, so that it's easy to recognize them.
%
% Sounds reasonable but I think I'll settle fot the ~/Mail/lists/list-name
% approach. I like it.

Sure.  I like having my directories and special files uppper-cased
because they then show up first in an ls output.  Otherwise, F for
folder, D for directory, Z for .gz (compressed) folders, etcetc.

%
% > % What would you suggest? I'm open to anything that will make things
% > % simple for me!
% >
% > What I do is have all of my incoming files as =F.* (where F was for
% > Folder, long ago; I probably would have made it =I.* for Incoming if I
% > had planned a bit more) and then have all of my fcc folders right in = as
% > well.
%
% Do you mean like ~/Mail/F.some_friend
% What /is/ fcc exactly?

The fcc is the folder carbon copy; it's where mutt stores its saved copy
of the message that you send.  My thought there was to have any mail you
send be saved as ~/Mail/FCC/some_friend and ~/Mail/FCC/mutt-users and so
on; the F.* files were for incoming 'F'olders when procmail dumps stuff
off -- and I, at least, don't procmail messages from ordinary folks
(unless it goes to the spam folder) but only from lists and such.  Mail
from joe user ends up in my spoolfile.

%
% >
% > If I were starting from scratch (or seriously interested in revamping
% > what works well enough for me :-) I'd have some ideas:
% >
% > - store all incoming mail sorted by procmail either in $spoolfile or in
% >   something like =IN/*, thus making my muttrc mailboxes line really simple
%
% When you say $spoolfile could that mean /var/spool/mail/nick?

Yep.

% I use a pop account so all incoming goes there, althoug I delete it in
% the mutt index to clear the view and lose it (must sort that one!)

You should, from what I understand though I don't use POP, use something
like fetchmail to suck down your mail and then hand it off to procmail.
Once the mail is in /var/spool/mail/nick it's too late to filter.

%
% > - store all otherwise unspecified mail (the typical fcc or save) in its
% >   own general dir like =FCC or some such (you can use the %O expando for
% >   this in a default fcc-save-hook command) to keep the main directory
% >   empty
% > - possibly make the symlinks mentioned above, but in the newly defined
%
% Like it, like it. I envisage my perfect setup as something like
%
% ~/Mail
% ~/Mail/regular_crap
% ~/Mail/family_personal
% ~/Mail/lists

Same idea with different names.

%
% Completer with subdirs etc.
%
% fcc_save_hook with the expando example?

I just sent out a message something like this :-)

Something like

  fcc-save-hook . =family_personal/%O

to save everything under your family dir.  That's probably not realistic,
though, and the problem with that is that you end up with a muttrc like

  fcc-save-hook 'dad@addr|mom@other|bro@school|bro@hotmail' =family/%O
  fcc-save-hook 'buddy@isp|pal@else|davidtg@jpo' =otherdir/$O

and so on; it becomes unmanageable.

I handled that problem by making many =D.* dirs and making lots and lots
of symlinks in ~/Mail that point into those dirs.  A smattering:

  F.bb -> D.work/F.bb
  bb -> D.work/bb
  cct-echo2 -> D.work/F.sun
  comicradiation -> D.work/PFE/gareth_w_jones
  floyd -> D.work/MOT/floyd.shackelford
  floyds -> D.work/MOT/floyd.shackelford
  gareth_w_jones -> D.work/PFE/gareth_w_jones
  glmather -> D.family/glmather
  jan_wallace -> D.work/PFE/jan_wallace
  joegaude -> D.work/Calix/joseph.gaude
  kielsky -> D.work/MOT/kielsky
  lauratg -> ./D.family/lauratg
  lfell -> D.family/lfell
  meowsama -> D.work/SAP/meowsama
  michael -> D.work/MOT/kielsky
  michaelg -> D.family/michaelg
  nsnow -> D.work/nsnow
  shubro_sankar -> D.work/Calix/shubro.mandal
  zerepb -> D.family/zerepb
  zipgunmedia -> D.family/zipgunmedia

It gets a little messy in an ls, but if you never look in the main
directory and only look in the subs then it doesn't matter so much :-)

%
%
% Okay, much thanks David, I cut alot of the message as it's way beyond me
% for the moment but I've saved the mail ;)

Good deal :-)

%
% Thanks again for your advice, you've managed to help me loads since I
% started using mutt and it's appreciated.

Happy to help!

%
% --
%