On Jan 09, Nick Wilson [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> 'ello.
> I'm trying to organize the way I deal with my mail. I've got procmail up
> and running and would like a little advice before sorting all my lists
> and private mail.

Well, I use qmail '-' address extensions instead of procmail to sort list
stuff, and I probably went overboard on the organization, but here it is:

All incoming mail hits this .qmail rule:
| ~/bin/qmail-default

Which is:
-------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ -d ~/Mail/$EXT/IN/cur/ ]; then
   maildir ~/Mail/$EXT/IN/
else
   maildir ~/Maildir/
fi

exit $?
-------------------------

Which means, if a certain maildir exists matching the address the mail came
to, put it there, else put it in my regular inbox.  So mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] will go to the maildir ~/Mail/mutt/IN/ if it exists.

When I subscribe to a new list or otherwise want to sort a '-' extension to
it's own folders, I run this:
-------------------------
#!/bin/sh

for i in ${@}; do
   MPATH=~/Mail/${i}
   mkdir ${MPATH}
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/IN
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/KEEP
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/OUT
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/POSTPONED
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/TODO
   maildirmake ${MPATH}/TRASH
   cat >> ~/.mutt/mailboxes <<-EOF
                folder-hook '=${i}/.*' 'set from="jblosser-${i}@firinn.org"'
                folder-hook '=${i}/.*' 'set record="=${i}/OUT/"'
                folder-hook '=${i}/.*' 'set postponed="=${i}/POSTPONED/"'
                folder-hook '=${i}/.*' 'set trash="=${i}/TRASH/"'
        EOF
done

sort ~/.mutt/mailboxes > ~/.mutt/mailboxes.SORT
mv -f ~/.mutt/mailboxes{.SORT,}
-------------------------

Which sets up seperate inbox, archive, outbox, postponed, todo, and trash
maildirs for that extension/list, and adds the relevant lines the the
mailboxes file, which my .muttrc sources.

Finally, my .muttrc has the following mailboxes line:
mailboxes `echo ~/Mail/*/IN`

Like I said, probably overboard on organization, and I may not keep it all,
but it's working right now.  I actually just recently set it up because I
had far, far too little organization before.

The only thing I'm really needing still is a decent way to watch the IN
boxes for incoming mail.  I'd really like to find a decent console/curses
biff program, but I haven't seen any.  mutt -y really doesn't seem to cut
it.