On Feb 01, Volker Moell [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Mike Schiraldi wrote:
> >
> [...]
>
> Just a question: Is it really necessary to attach at each message the
> smime.p7s file (your signature or so)? It has always about the 10th size
> of your underlying posting, so it increases the size of your posting way
> much.
>
> What is it for at all? Why is this (I think) signature so large?

Mike and I were discussing this in private mail earlier this week... I'm
sure he'll have his own things to add, but after talking with him this is
my take on it:

The sigs are that big because they all include his public key.  S/MIME does
not use keyservers like OpenPGP does.  It also does not have a web of trust
concept, instead relying on central CAs.  They consider this an advantage,
since it means you can always verify a message regardless of your current
network connection status, etc... all that you need to verify the message
is containted in the message itself and your local list of trusted CA
certs.  This means that people that don't understand how public key
encryption works can still use it without really having to know anything at
all.

There are of course a few disadvantages to these methods... first, the
bandwidth issue you raise (I believe it's worth it to sign all my mails,
but I have to question if it's still worth it when the sig is 3k instead of
0.2k; or rather, question if that extra bulk is giving me anything I want
over what the 0.2k gives me).  There are also a plethora of issues
regarding the use of a CA at all vs. manually verifying your keys/using a
tighter web of trust, but those are well beyond the scope of this list,
probably.

I think this kind of opportunistic encryption has its place in at least
affecting some useful social engineering, but I don't like how all or none
it is currently.  To me the ideal solution to the bandwidth issue would be
a system that allowed you to send the whole key with the sig to certain
people, and let people request it from key servers in other cases (mailing
lists).  Unfortunately nothing around really does this in the ideal way
(you can do it with OpenPGP implementations, but OpenPGP still has a lot of
usability issues that won't make it quite reach the opportunistic
encryption bar).