> It would only work among mailers that knew how to use it, but many people
> that know enough to care about this are going to be using a decent mailer.

Part of the problem with PGP is that only "people that know enough to care"
use it. My goal is to be able to communicate securely and privately with
everyone -- even Outlook and Netscape users.

Even on the mutt list, there are people who use Outlook or Netscape. On most
mailing lists, they form the majority. If a large number of people can't
securely communicate with me, i haven't achieved the goal. So even if we
wrote such an extension, i wouldn't use it.

However, due to overwhelming demand and the unusual demographics of the mutt
lists, i've added the following to my .muttrc so that messages i post here
will be signed instead with PGP:

folder-hook .     'set smime_is_default=yes'
folder-hook =mutt 'set smime_is_default=no'

--
Mike Schiraldi
VeriSign Applied Research