> Mike and I were discussing this in private mail earlier this week... I'm
> sure he'll have his own things to add, but after talking with him this is
> my take on it:

That was a pretty good summary. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to
ask me off-list.

> To me the ideal solution to the bandwidth issue would be a system that
> allowed you to send the whole key with the sig to certain people, and let
> people request it from key servers in other cases (mailing lists).

I could attach just a signature and leave out the certs when sending to
certain mailing lists (using a hook to change smime_sign_command to toggle
OpenSSL's "--nocerts" switch). However, this only decreases the smime.p7s
size (after base64 decoding) from ~1700 bytes to ~650 bytes. I'm don't think
there's any way to get an S/MIME signature that's anywhere near as small as
a PGP signature.

I know it's bad netiquette to waste other people's bandwidth, but i also
think unsecure email needs to be deprecated as soon as possible.

Suggestions?

--
Mike Schiraldi
VeriSign Applied Research