On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Will Yardley wrote:
> > Simon White wrote:
> > >
> > > Since it's dynamic, he'll have to be running a web server, etc. A
> > > shell or PERL script will guarantee functionality across a wider range
> > > of Linux distros and setups.
> >
> > and other operating systems; mutt runs on a number of systems other than
> > linux (ie FreeBSD, commercial UNIX, win32, etc).
>
> technically not win32 since it's not a native port (cygwin).

Thank you for making this important distinction.  IMHO, it shouldn't be
necessary to use Cygwin just to use Mutt.  The MKS Toolkit, for
example, is a pretty nice native-win32 Unix shell environment, but it
still ships with mailx.exe, and one would certainly want to replace
this with a mutt.exe.  Ulf Erikson has done a native-win32 port of Mutt
(see http://www.geocities.com/win32mutt, but in my recollection he says
on his Web page that the Cygwin approach is more comprehensive, so I
didn't get around to trying it.

At any rate, I am not aware of win32 binaries -- either in Cygwin or
native-win32 -- for other important mutt-related utilities such as
procmail or urlview.

> contrast to pine which I've read does have a native win32 port...

Baochun Li has done a Cygwin port of Pine, see
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~bli/personal.html, but in my experience it
only runs in an xterm window, requiring XFree86 or Exceed.  However, I
am not aware of a native win32 port other than PC-PINE, which is really
not quite the same program and uses a proprietary mailbox file format.

Tom

----
Dr. Thomas Baker                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Birlinghoven Library, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft           mobile +49-171-408-5784
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven                     work +49-30-8109-9027
53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany                              fax +49-2241-14-2619