Adam--

...and then Adam Fields said...
%
% On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 04:36:35PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% > Welcome!
%
% Thanks!

*grin*

%
% > % I can't find the answers in the docs.
% > %
% > % 1) Is there a way to open part of a folder? Say I have a folder with
% > %    2000 messages, and I want to only look at, say, 190-200?
% >
% > You can limit your view to just about any slice that you want, but you'll
% > still be opening the whole folder (mbox, Maildir/, mh, MMDF) and so
% > processing time can be tough.  Fortunately, mutt is light and lean and
% > fast, and lots of folks have *huge* folders (my mutt-users folder has
% > just topped 10k messages! and is still quite responsive) without
% > problems.
%
% I don't see immediately how to do that. Can you elaborate about the
% possibilities here?

I think that's been answered already; you'd type

  l ~m190-200

while in the index and, voila, you'd see only those messages.  You could
limit to multiple ranges (either ~m190-200 ~m250-300 ... or perhaps all
together like ~m190-200,250-300 ... try it and see :-)  You could also
limit on multiple criteria, like all new messages less than two weeks old
from a certain list: ~N ~F somelist ~d<2w (you'll have to check me on the
date spec; I don't use it much).  You get the idea...

%
% I have noticed that it's pretty fast. I'm using my existing mh folders
% as-is; is there any info available on whether other folder types are
% faster?

There has been nearly endless discussion of Maildir/ and mbox on the
list, all waiting for you in the archives :-)  I haven't seen much talk
of mh or MMDF, but searching for "speed" and "folder" might turn up
something for them, too.

%
% > % 2) What's the right way to do batch refiling, particularly of mailing
% > %    lists? Is there a way to specify a save-hook based on "To:" rather
% > %    than "From:"?
% >
% > The actual best way is the same as when it is delivered: run it through
% > procmail or another MDA.  Otherwise you should probably tag a pattern and
% > then save that bunch to wherever and go on to the next pattern.
%
% My normal usage pattern is to look at all of the messages that come
% in, then file them. What I'm looking for is the Pegasus Mail concept

Fair enough.  Could you look at them in their own incoming folders and
then file them in their "archive" or "already read" folders, or perhaps
just leave the read messages right there with the new ones since mutt not
only shows new ones but also handles threads so elegantly?

% of rules-based filing on main folder close. It seems I might be able
% to sort of replicate this with procmail by having the mail filtered
% and then picked up from the existing folder, but I'm a little fuzzy on
% that.

I'd venture to say that that's what most people do.  So you'd have
procmail sort by list into =F.mutt, =F.gnupg, =F.suse, and so on (where
the = is a shortcut for "the mail folder" and the F. prefix makes it easy
to specify a mailboxes line in your muttrc) and then you'd have a bunch
of folders catching new mail, with your spoolfile probably catching
anything that didn't get sorted otherwise.  You start mutt either with no
arguments (into your spool file) or with a -y to browse the list of
mailboxes with new mail in them, and then pick one and start reading.
When you're finished reading that one, type 'c' to change folders, hit
tab a couple of times (IIRC), and you have your list of folders that need
attention and you continue on.  As you exit each folder, you might leave
the messages in there or move them all to =OLD/F.mutt and so on so that
your incoming folders stay light; I don't bother, but instead peel off a
few thousand messages every six months and save them in my compressed
archive folder =Z/F.mutt.gz (I bet you can guess where I got the Z if
you've been around *NIX for a while).

%
% I'm a little confused about reading new mail - from what I read, I
% thought that mutt would pick up my new mail from the spool file and
% put it in the mbox folder (+inbox), but it seems that when I open it,

It will put it there when you're done with it.

% I'm working with the spool file directly, and then I can move read

Yep.  It's there on the system and the mail has been delivered, so why
not work with it that way?

% messages to the inbox on changing to another folder. Can you offer
% more explanation of what's going on here? How does this mesh with
% having procmail do the filtering?

See above, or ask more questions for more details.

%
% This reminds me of another question - is there an easy way to rescan
% the spoolfile for new mail (I have fetchmail running in daemon mode to
% pick it up off the pop server)?

Check $timeout and $wait_key and perhaps some other fun settings in the
manual; in general, mutt should happily see new mail (as long as you're
not stuck in the pager) when or shortly after it arrives.  If all else
fails, sync the mailbox ('$' by default) to force any changes you've made
and generate a reread -- but, again, you should be able to tune it so
that it sees the mail without any intervention on your part.

%
%
% --
%                               - Adam