On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:34:58 -0500,
  "David T-G" wrote:

> % Tim Freedom wrote:
> %
> % I was able to resolve my own problem (thanks to the few people that
> % replied and helped).  It related to setting a correct locale value.
>
> Oh, locale...  Right.  I just got bitten by that with the GNU fileutils.
> What a pain :-)

It is indeed and there is ambiguity involved too; as noted the man pages
were of no use - looks like everyone dealing with locales ends-up doing
lots of trial-n-error to figure out what the heck is happening and thus
my question/suggestion below :-)

> % Out of curiosity, why doesn't mutt enable utf-8 natively and by
> % default ?  Are there any adverse affects if that were to happen ?
>
> You mean override the LC_* variables?  I should think that would be
> obvious, so perhaps I've misunderstood your question.

If someone would like to use utf-8 irrespective of the locale setting,
he/she ought to be able to do that, no ?  There are lots of applications
out there that allow for that (vim, less, etc) via a command-line
option (environmental variable or even a compile-time option).

What I was getting at is there seem to be some applications out there
that support utf-8 irrespective of the locale setting (if the user
opts to go that way) and it would be useful to have a similar option
in mutt (I wouldn't have had this adventure if a '--enable-utf-8' option
existed :-).

Cheers,

 .tf.