Hi!

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:32:54AM -0700, Tim Freedom wrote:
> Well, you are setting a locale (LANG, LC_CTYPE); its not global,
> sure - but its being set :-)

Of course I do. How else could the program know what language I wish
to use?

> vim-6.1+ and compile it.  Then without having to do _anything_ you will
> be able to view/compose/etc a utf-8 (both in graphical mode and/or in
> a UTF-8 terminal emulator).  So what happens if you start that same
> vim binary on a non-UTF-8 xterm ?  vim is smart to note that UTF-8 is
> not-supported and beep at yeah.  That's pretty much all I'm advocating.

You see? It works only in an UTF-8 terminal. But now UTF-8 terminals
aren't a standard.
Besides in some cases you *have* to set LANG or LC_CTYPE. XIM doesn't
work with the wrong locale, so I have to set at least LC_CTYPE to
ja_JP.UTF-8 to input Japanese characters, even if it should work as
well with any other UTF-8 locale.

UTF-8 is no problem for GUI applications, but since text applications
can't change the font of the terminal, they shouldn't use a locale
they couldn't display.

> I have no problem setting the locale myself, but most applications
> out there are simply reverting to native, default UTF-8 support and
> thus the question/suggestion.

Which other applications? I only know gjiten (a Japanese dictionary)
that switches to a Japanese locale, so you can use XIM.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|          WWW: http://fsing.fs.uni-sb.de/~stse/            |