I forgot to mention that I'm using xterm-166, with terminfo
xterm-color, on Solaris, Sparc.  Not sure the xfree86 is
appropriate for this platform?

I suspect what Thomas Dickey stated is closest to the truth,
that the spaces are explicit writes to those positions.  And
a test with both the /usr/openwin/bin/xterm and xterm-166
both show this to be the case - but ONLY when using mutt.  It
doesn't seem related to the window interface at all, but
instead to how mutt is drawing the picture.

I would consider this a bug.

deb

* Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-07-05 13:56:52 -0400]:

--
"If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry,
and if it doesn't work, it's physics."