On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:01:31AM -0700, lee wrote:
> PS:

Why is the PS at the top?

> Mutt seems to ignore ~/.mailcap.
>
> l...@cat:~/Mail$ mutt -nF /dev/null -Q mailcap_path
> mailcap_path="~/.mailcap:/usr/share/mutt/mailcap:/etc/mailcap:/etc/mailcap:/usr/etc/mailcap:/usr/local/etc/mailcap"
> l...@cat:~/Mail$
>
> So which of the mailcap files mutt finds in the mailcap_path will it
> use? The manual doesn't say.

Based on the "mailcap_path" entry in man muttrc I would say that mutt
uses all the entries in all the files.  Perhaps you could shorten the
path so that you only need to worry about one file.

> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:58:02PM -0700, lee wrote:
> > I've got an email with these headers:

> > X-Spam_score: 4.4
> > X-Spam_score_int: 44
> > X-Spam_bar: ++++

I've assumed this is the end of the headers.

> >    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> > <head>

And that the above four lines are in the body of the message.

> > Mutt displays the HTML garbage as plain text, unreadable. Now I've no
> > idea if the problem is with mutt, or if the headers or something else
> > are wrong.

I made a copy of your original post in another maibox.  Then I edited
that message, moving the quoted headers into the header section.

When I view your message in the mutt pager I see the html tags, since I
don't have "implicit_autoview" set in my muttrc.  When I press 'v' (for
view-attachments) I see one entry [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1,....]
in the attachment view.

When I view that attachment the html is rendered (and nicely
disappears).  The relevant entry in my mailcap file is:

text/html;  w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

It also renders OK with this mailcap entry:

text/html;  w3m %s | less; nametemplate=%s.html

> > If the problem is with the email, it would be nice to know which RFCs
> > are to be applied so that I can refer the sender of these mails to
> > them and have them send them correctly encoded.

While I can't comment on the message you received, its reasonable
facsimile is rendered by w3m through mailcap on my system.  That tells
me that your message is probably OK and that something is wrong with
your mailcap.  Or, maybe your mailcap is fine and you don't have
implicit_autoview set and you're expecting to see only text in the mutt
pager.

Do you have problems with any other html messages?

--
Monte