On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:05:31PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> [1]
> If mutt knows not to flag the transferred email as new, then it also
> knows enough not chuck up the erroneous "New mail" message. The logic
> used for the message flags is different from that used for confusing
> the user with a false message, it appears.

Yes, the N[ew], O[ld] and other flags are actually written to the mbox
as I understand it - yes, just looked, there's a Status: line in the
message header which has flags in it. Scanning for new messages is
done (for mbox) by looking to see if the mbox file has changed since
last read.  Presumably mutt doesn't look at the header Status: line
because that would take too long.

It's a pity that there isn't an option to tell mutt to use the Status:
header to check for new messages, on a fast single-user system that
would be quite fast enough and much more accurate.

--
Chris Green