On 2012-11-20, John Long <codeb...@inbox.lv> wrote:

> I use slrn, probably the best all around news reader out there and
> it doesn't wrap unless you tell it. But even that looks bad.

slrn's problem.  Slrn (which I sometimes use as well) should do
better.

> You can't make a sloppy pile of HTML or run-on sentences look like a
> newsgroup post or an acceptable email.

Actually it's trivial to wrap text that is unwrapped, and to do so in
a way that meets each users preference.  A news reader can simply add
a linefeed in place of the last space before the
user-specifically-preferred line length.

But the opposite is not true.  You cannot take narrowly wrapped text
and unwrap it and rewrap it, because you could end up removing
linefeeds from a peom, or something meant to have line breaks at
precise places.

So technically you can please all readers by not line wrapping at all.

> There are standards and there is such a thing as common decency,
> even if it's less common than it was.

s/standards/conventions/.  If you mean to say standards, is this an
ISO standard?

Conventions are good, but only when they cater to those with *good*
tools.  When a convention caters to compensate for poorly designed
tools, and then cause difficultly for others with good tools, the
convention should be challenged, IMO.