=- Tony's unattended mail wrote on Tue 20.Nov'12 at 19:54:28 +0000 -=

> Outlook actually illustrates my point. Good tools interpret the
> mail-followup-to header, and also have a reply-to-list feature.
> Outlook does not, on both counts. So mailing lists have
> established conventions whereby everyone is expected to reply-all.
> This means those with a more sophisticated tool chain
> (mutt+procmail+fetchmail+postfix) must receive multiple copies of
> post replies.

The same argumentation applies to producing "readable" mail:
why fix something on the reader-end when it could/should be fixed at
the source?

> Same with line-wrapping. Because a readers tool is lousy at line
> wrapping does not make a case for imposing line wrapping on
> authors who use quality tools.

Why is it OK to produce bad stuff and require others to improve it
afterwards?

> > Just follow the other sheeple and say "everybody does it."
>
> Proper etiquette is established by those in a region, or in a
> group.. it's based on where you are. If you enter a village where
> everyone does something, that *is* the etiquette, by definition.
> To go against it is to lack etiquette.
>
> For some mailing lists, top-posting (as atrocious as it is), is the
> proper etiquette.

Now, initially _everyone_ of the few beginners of internet did it
the "classic" (conforming) way. Then those disrespecting n/etiquette
entered the internet... and declared their way as de-facto standard
by "it serves my laziness and everybody does it: I and/or majority
is right".