Assembled Wisdom!

No, the difficulty is not just that it exists<G>, it is how
my mutt occasionally deals with it.

I call up mutt from one of my terms(URxvt) and it displays my
E-mail from /var/spool/mail/alan, as is normal. With many
of my mails I press 'v' to get a display like

  I     1 <no description>                      [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 13K]
  I     2 ├─><no description>                 [text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 1.6K]
  I     3 └─><no description>                   [text/html, quoted, utf-8, 11K]

and use my arrow keys to get to the number 3, '[text/html, . . .'
I then press 'Enter'  and _sometimes_ a tab opens on my browser to
display the interpreted content of the mail.  This is what I want.
But _sometimes_  I get a tab: "Problem loading page" with a display

"File not found
Iceweasel can't find the file at /home/alan/tmp/mutt.html."

And this is true; there is nothing in my ~/tmp directory.
But there is also nothing in my tmp/ directory when the html-mail
opens successfully.  The Tab says:
      file:///home/alan/tmp/mutt.html
but there is nothing of that kind in my ~tmp/.

I suspect that my ~/.mailcap file is not correct.  I was given it
several years ago, and I've never understood it.  I give it here, in
its one-line entirety:

text/html; iceweasel -new-tab '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY";nametemplate=%s.html

I am running Debian squeeze; my browser is iceweasel; my mutt is 1.5.20.
I spare you my .muttrc, except to say that it has been pretty constant
for my many years of using mutt and Linux.

TIA for expected help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."(Bierce)