Assembled Wisdom!

First, generically: I feel it is a source of difficulty that
mutt relies on two config files, .muttrc and .mailcap.  Perhaps
one of the experts could give us a short exposition of the
use of each of these files, and what to do when they conflict.
That would help me get my second, personal, issue resolved.

Second(personal issue):  I'm still having problems with
getting my html-mail to open(in a new tab) in my browser,
which is Firefox(Debianers call it iceweasel).  Often,
when I use 'v' on an entry in my mutt display, and then
Arrow down to "3 . . . . [text/html . . . .", and then
press Enter, a new Tab does open in my browser, and I see
the html-mail displayed nicely.  Even then I get, in my
browser-Tab: "file:///home/alan/tmp/mutt.html", but there
is no such file in my ~/tmp directory!

But, too often, I get a quick new tab, a tenth of a second
look at the html I want to see, and then mutt "thinks better
of it" and I get a screen:
   File not found  Iceweasel can't find the file at
   /home/alan/tmp/mutt.html

The decision which way mutt will go between these two
alternatives is, as far as I can see, quite arbitrary.

  For the record:  I have the following entry in my .muttrc
set tmpdir=~/tmp                # where to store temp files
  This works fine when I'm writing my mail.  For instance
  there is now a file in ~/tmp containing this text that
  I'm now working on.

  I also have an entry
# set mailcap_path="/etc/mailcap:/usr/local/share/mailcap"
  I uncommented this, but quickly put the comment back on!
  I have a huge /etc/mailcap, which I can't make head or
  tails of.

Bottom line: there is some kind of a fight inside mutt
about opening a tab in my browser;  how can I reconcile
this conflict.  What I'd like of course is:  when I
hit 'v' I'd like that E-mail to be opened in a tab
in my iceweasel/Firefox as best as possible.

TIA for anticipated help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    No one minds what Jeffreys says . . it is not more than a week ago