On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:53:20PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Mark H. Wood:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 09:28:05AM -0500, Alan McConnell wrote:
> > > First, generically: I feel it is a source of difficulty that
> > > mutt relies on two config files, .muttrc and .mailcap.  Perhaps
> >
> > .mailcap is a general-purpose configuration file for anything that
> > wants to know what you would like done with certain types of content.
> > Lots of other tools also use .mailcap and /etc/mailcap.
> >
> > This is why they are separate.  One belongs to Mutt and the other
> > belongs to the world (including Mutt, which can use it).
>
> That was a beautiful exposition.
           <LOL>  It may seem beautiful to some, but it can't
           help anyone with a practical problem.

Mr Wood wrote further:
> You probably need to add "; needsterminal" to your .mailcap entry for
> "text/html" so that Mutt will ask you to hit a key when the external
> program (Iceweasel) is finished.
          <sigh>  My iceweasel(aka Firefox) runs, and displays in the
          middle of my screen, from the moment my computer is turned
          on in the morning till I use it to talk to my DSL modem
          to shut down my connection in the evening, preparatory to
          "shutdown -h now".

>  For more on .mailcap and how Mutt
> interprets it, see:
             http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-5.html
        I've pored over the whole document, including this
        section.  It is likely my stupidity that makes me
        unable to find in it why the .muttrc and the .mailcap
        are fighting with each other

        Re "Race Conditions".  Unless I am mistaken, mutt is
        written as a single, un-threaded process; I believe that
        'me' is (justly) proud of this achievement.  So I do
        not understand how "two processes" can be involved here.

        Let me say once again, as clearly as I can: when the
        mutt pager tells me(when I press 'v') that there is a
        text/html E-mail there, and I select it, I want a new
        tab to open on my browser, and whatever is in that
        text/html file?/version? to be displayed in that tab.
        This now happens most of the time; I want it to happen
        all the time.   I hope that some judicious adjustment
        of my .mailcap and my .muttrc can make this happen.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    No one minds what Jeffreys says . . it is not more than a week ago